Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey (R-2) filed SB0256 which would require the TBI to conduct background investigations for persons appointed by the speaker of the senate or the speaker of the house. Currently only the governor and chief justice are permitted to request such background checks on candidates for the following positions:
(1) Attorney general and reporter;
(2) Clerk of the supreme court (appellate court clerk);
(3) Administrative director of the courts;
(4) Executive director, Tennessee lawyers’ assistance program;
(5) Chief disciplinary counsel, board of professional responsibility;
(6) Executive director, Tennessee commission on continuing legal education and specialization; and
(7) Executive director, Tennessee lawyers’ fund for client protection.